Fireplace within the former Information & File constructing remains to be below investigation, Greensboro official says | Native
GREENSBORO – A fire on Thursday at News & Record’s former East Market Street location is still under investigation, according to Deputy Chief Dwayne Church of the Greensboro Fire Department.
At around 8:10 a.m., Greensboro firefighters responded to a report of a fire alarm at 200 East Market St.
The building’s sprinkler system activated and controlled several small fires in the building, Church said.
The firefighters ventilated the building with fans and switched off the sprinkler system.
No one was injured in the fire, according to Church.
Support local journalism
Your subscription enables our reporting.
Although the fire is still being investigated, Church said the presence of several small fires suggests the fires were deliberately started.
The fire caused an estimated damage of 700 euros.
The News & Record relocated to 3001 S. Elm-Eugene St. after BH Media sold the newspaper to Lee Enterprises, an Iowa-based newspaper chain.
The property on Market Street has been vacant since mid-2020.
The 6.65-acre property, which occupies most of the downtown block of East Market Street between Davie and Church Streets, was under contract with an unnamed buyer more than three years ago when the newspaper was based there.