Man who shot Greensboro police officer at 100 mph after chase was sentenced to jail for gun possession, authorities say | crime
GREENSBORO – A Charlotte man involved in a 2019 shoot-out with Greensboro officials was sentenced to more than nine years in prison on Wednesday, the U.S. Department of Justice said in a press release.
Julius Moncre Williams, 38, pleaded guilty to the possession of a firearm by a previously convicted felon on May 4.
According to the Justice Department, on November 20, 2019, a Greensboro police officer attempted a traffic control on Williams driving Interstate 85 in a 60-mile zone at 85 mph.
Support local journalism
Your subscription enables our reporting.
After Williams refused to stop, additional officers were called in for assistance. Williams accelerated to 100 mph before colliding with a semi-trailer truck in the middle lane of the freeway, the Justice Department said.
His vehicle then came off the road into an embankment, whereupon Williams shot an approaching officer. The gun he was using was found in his vehicle and authorities later learned the gun had been stolen from Charlotte, the Justice Department said.
According to police reports at the time of the incident, an officer returned fire and beat Williams, who was then taken to a hospital.
Williams, who was convicted of kidnapping charges in 2011, was not allowed to own a firearm.